Quinoa and Bean Pilaf
Inspired from: Food Network Kitchens Recipe
Healthy quinoa, with some added protien with beans and some good veggies to finish it off.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped, white and green parts separated
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Add the bell peppers, scallion whites and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, cayenne and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa, and then add 2 cups water and the beans. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the spinach. Stir until almost wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with scallion greens and cheese.
Here’s our pictures from cooking this recipe
Here is the colection of al of the items needed for this recipe. It may seem like a lot but it does not take long at all to gather everytrhing and make this great side or main dish.
In a large skillet heat the oil over medium/high heat. Add the peppers, scallion whites, and celery. Soften the veggies for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoe paste, a 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes.
Stir in the quinoa, 2 cups of water, and the beans. Bring to a smimmer, cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach, mix well and stir until the spincah wilts.
Season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese and scallion greens. mix well.
Serve it up.
Cooked By: Tom Corliss
About Tom Corliss
Tom Corliss is a web publisher, internet marketer, and website developer, with 3 current websites, Home Information Guru.com, Home Selling Resources.com, and Simple-Food-Solutions.com. He also runs a home improvement company Corliss Property Enhancements. He has recently completed a new e-Book for anyone wanting to sell their home fast: Home Sellers Handbook