Chicken & Quinoa Soup
Inspired from: Food Network Kitchens
Chicken soup with some great healthy Quinoa.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, plus more for topping
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 4 cups water, (Add more if soup is to thick for your liking)
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2½ cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot, Add the onion, celery, carrots, and Cajun seasoning. Cook & Stir, softening vegetables for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the quinoa, and then add the chicken broth and water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 5 more minutes. Add the chicken and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Top with sour cream and a pinch of Cajun seasoning.
Here’s pictures from us cooking this recipe
Starting to get all of the ingredients together. Use can see we use fit and active chciken broth from Aldi for most all of our soups. We like this a lot because it is much lower in sodium then most other brands and it only cost $1.29 per quart.
Anytime that we want to use roaster chicken, we stop by Costco and pick up one of thier whole roasters. It is fully cooked and you get about 21/2 to 3 lbs of really good roasted chciken for $4.99.
We start by adding the celery, onions, and carrots to a large stock pot that we first heated u the oil in. We mix in the Cajun sesaoning and simmer for 4 minutes.
Stir in the quinoa, then add the chicken broth and water. Season with salt and peper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes.
Add the broccoli and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
Laddle the soup into bowls. Top with a dolup of sour cream or plain greek yogurt and a pinch of Cajun seasoning.
Serve with some crusty bread and a small side salad.
Cooked By: Tom Corliss
About Tom Corliss
Tom Corliss is a web publisher, internet marketer, and website developer, with 3 current websites, Home Information Guru.com, Home Selling Resources.com, and Simple-Food-Solutions.com. He also runs a home improvement company Corliss Property Enhancements. He has recently completed a new e-Book for anyone wanting to sell their home fast: Home Sellers Handbook